Pinwheels Comes to University City
Pinwheels is a new program established in the heart of University City, MO that offers a safe, stigma-free gathering where families that are seeking to embrace a child or teen's gender creativity in a kind and loving way can gain support, share ideas, and build connections.
St. Louis Pinwheels is an expansion of the original Pinwheels group*, started in Chicago by a mom looking for a place for her transgender daughter to go, after hearing her say, “I’m the only kid in the world like this.”
Sometimes there will be speakers for parents and sometimes just be sharing with each other. The kids and teens do not have group therapy or discussion groups; instead, they build friendships with other gender-expansive kids through shared activities
- Currently, the group meets quarterly on Sundays from 1-4pm in the heart of University City for activities & hanging out for kids in elementary through high school;
- There are opportunities for parents to share experiences and information separately from the kids’ activities;
- Pinwheels is for immediate families (including siblings) that have already decided to accept and support their gender expansive kids and teens;
- There will be refreshments and a time to just “be”;
- Please contact Liz at 314-359-2478 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and location. Please share with other families who might benefit from Pinwheels.
Gathering Dates for 2017-2018
Sunday, September 10th, 2017; 1-4pm in University City, MO
Sunday, November 19th, 2017; 1-4pm in University City, MO
Sunday, February 18th, 2018; 1-4pm in University City, MO
Sunday, May 6th, 2018; 1-4pm in University City, MO
Come for activities, refreshments, connections, and a time to just be yourself!
*An article published by the Reconciling Ministries Network: Pinwheels Article
Pinwheels Website: http://www.pinwheels.us/
— Liz Nelson, LCSW